Udaipur

Checking in at the airport for my flight to Udaipur, I was offered an upgrade to business class for only $40. Sure, why not, I'd love to try it!  What a treat it was to go through the special security line, be first on the plane with pre-boarding, and use the special toilet up front! "Mrs. Webber what would you like to order?"  The stewardess called me by my name!
My $40 (the upgrade cost)lunch in business class, served on a table cloth.  Sadly the flight was alcohol-free, so no champagne.

I'm squeezing in a very brief visit to Udaipur as an attempt to detour slightly off the well-traveled Golden Triangle.  Udaipur is known as the "City of Lakes," (or the Venice of the East) due to its orientation around a complex system of lakes, and it's rare that you will ever be far from the water's edge. 

The shoreline of Lake Pichola.  I am staying in the top room of one of those buildings.

I was staying at a hotel next to the palace. With nothing scheduled for my late-afternoon arrival, I used the opportunity to explore and shop. 

Udaipur is known for its local crafts which line the streets radiating from Jagdish Chowk.  It is fascinating for browsing and soaking up local atmosphere. 


Donkeys are used to carry trash out of the old town since the streets are small and winding.

These ladies were sitting waiting.

Such a splendid array of colors.


Minaret-looking "Gokhadas" are a tradition around lakes in Rajasthan.

My hotel's rooftop restaurant, where I had dinner, overlooks the summer palace on Lake Pichola.

Comments

Popular Posts