This is India

India continues to be a roller coaster of emotions for me. It is absolutely one of the most amazing countries I have been to. But it's a test of my tolerance and by the end of the day I feel I might not pass. Super highs and super lows. You have to always have your wits about you because there's always opportunity for something to go wrong...the driver tries to leave with my suitcase in the trunk, the airline doesn't give me back my passport, the hotel charges me twice, etc. I can hardly wait a couple of hours to start experiencing the highlights with Greg, and I wonder how much of a difference it will make to not travel alone. 

I toured Udaipur today. First I went on a 6:30 sunrise bike ride up to some lakes. My favorite part, other than the exercise, was the hill towns we rode through. My least favorite part was not being able to take pictures of the interesting sights we passed.

Sunrise on Fateh Sagar Lake

We rode from here to Badi Lake on the mountain in the distance.

After inhaling breakfast and coffee, and checking out of my hotel, my guide took me to the palace - the largest in Rajasthan, the Land of the Kings.  Since Rajasthan is a realm of maharajas, majestic forts and lavish palaces, it's pretty impressive to be the biggest. 

We spent a lot of time in the palace. It is said there is more history in Rajasthan than all of India put together, so there's a lot for me to learn. The guide said how lucky I am that there weren't the usual crowds; the twisting, narrow halls and stairways would be suffocating with hordes of people. 

Udaipur's grand city palace, begun in the 16th century, is 800 feet long and 100 feet high.


Palace entrance


Our next stop was a surprise, not on the normal tourist route: the cemetery of the palace's maharana family. Actually, without bodies, it is not a cemetery in the traditional sense; a pagoda is built in memory of each member of the royal family. It is one continuous blood line which has lost 372 family members - which means there are 372 domes here. Pretty magnificent!


Royal Cenotaphs - 372 domes at the cemetery of Udaipur's maharana

After a slow but needed lunch, the tour plummeted. My guide took me to a school to learn about miniature paintings, which Udaipur is known for. It is fascinating how they crush various types of rocks to make the colors of the paint!  But the real reason I have been brought there is for the hard sale, and with three salespersons against one tourist, I was a sitting duck. "I will call my father; he will be so happy you buy this," said the artist.  No kidding, your father will be overjoyed if I'm willing to pay 5 times the amount I was quoted in town last night!  Repeated no thank yous fell on deaf ears.  I really don't want to offend anyone but after too many attempts of politeness, I simply walked out.

On the way to the airport I realized that the safest driver on the road is the one balancing 6 canisters of propane on his motorbike. Oh my God, don't hit him!  "This is India," replied the driver.  Despite the ups and the downs, I wouldn't trade this experience for anything!





Comments

Popular Posts